History

The college was established in 1917. Prior to the partition of the sub-continent, a board of trustees was administering this institution. However, all of them migrated to India in 1947 .The Government of Sindh took over the college on 21st June 1948. The college imparted education up to intermediate level to the student of the faculty of science and up to B.A (Hons:) to the student belonging to the faculty of Arts. Total number of the student enrolled in 1948-49 was 224 and total number of teacher was 25. There was co-education in this institute up to 1951-52 as there was no separate college for girls by then.

The faculty of science was upgraded to the degree classes in March 1951 as the number of students wishing to seek admission in B.Sc. class soared rapidly. In 1961-62 the University of Sindh took over teaching of honours classes. Ever since 1948,the college continues to occupy unique positions as a premier institution of the province of Sindh, the students of this college have been achieving enviable position in various examination conducted by the board of intermediate & secondary education, Hyderabad and the University of Sindh .A glimpse of the honours list placed in the assembly hall bearers testimony to this claim likewise, our students continue to win a large number of prizes and trophies in the field of extra-curricular activities . A large number of old boys of this college are now serving the nation in senior administrative position and other field of nation building activities.



Pre-Partition Period

FOUNDATION 1st October, 1917 It was founded on 1st October 1917 by Mrs. Annie Besant who was the President of International Theosophical Society, National Education Movement and National Education Trust.
  1917 Contemplated by a devoted group of renowned philanthropists and elite of the city under the aegis of a trust "Diwan Metharam Gidu Mal Darmada Trust"
  1917 The Land of the college beside the Phuleli Canal was donated by Seth Pertab Rai Manghar Singh.
  1917 The College was named as SINDH NATIONAL ARTS COLLEGE, HYDERABAD.
1st PRINCIPAL 1917 Prof. Dr. Earnest Wood, (Honorary Secretary, NET) was appointed as the first Principal.
REGISTRATION Febuary,1919 The college was registered by Hyderabad College, Board.
LIBRARY 1920 Establishment of the College Library.
AFFILIATION 1921 Affiliated with Bombay University.
2nd PRINCIPAL 1923 Mr. Hashmat Rai Lekh Raj appointed as Principal.
3rd PRINCIPAL 1924 Mr.Hukum Chand Kumar appointed as Principal.
4th PRINCIPAL July, 1925 Mr. Motomal Mangha Ram Gadwani appointed as Principal.
RENAME 1925 College was renamed as NADIR SHAH EDULJI DINSHAW (N.E.D) NATIONAL COLLEGE, HYDERABAD.
RESTORATION OF PREVIOUSE NAME 1925 The previous title SINDH NATIONAL ARTS COLLEGE was restored after some time.
FIRST MAGAZINE 1925 College's first magazine named "PHULELI" was published.
5th PRINCIPAL 1926 Mr. Nanak Ram Wasan Mal Thandani appointed as Principal.
DEGREE CLASSES 20 June, 1927 Classes of B.A. (Honours) Degree in English, History, Economics, Philosophy began.
RENAME 20 June,1928 The College was renamed as DAYARAM GIDDUMAL NATIONAL COLLEGE, HYDERABAD.
6th PRINCIPAL 1929 Mr. Nirmal Das Dharam Das Gur Bakhshani appointed as Principal.
7th PRINCIPAL 1932 Mr. Bhagat Ram Kumar appointed as Principal.
INTERMEDIATE SCIENCE CLASSES 1935 Commencement of Intermediate Science classes.
8th PRINCIPAL 1938 Mr.Hira Lal Srichand Bhrwani appinted as Principal.
POST GRADUATION (ARTS) 1940 Commencement of M.A. Literature classes.
  5th August,1941 Foundation of "LATIF SOCIETY".
  1941 Foundation of Ex-Students Union.
SILVER JUBILEE 20th June 1942 Silver Jubilee Celebration of the College.
DEGREE SCIENCE CLASSES 1945 Commencement of B.Sc. classes in Zoology, Botany, and Chemistry.
  1947 The College was closed due to Partition of the Sub-Continent.


Post-Partition Period

  21st June, 1948 The College was took over by the Government of Sindh.
PRINCIPAL June, 1948 Prof. Adrian Duarte appointed as the Principal.
RENAME 1948 The College was renamed as "GOVERNMENT COLLEGE HYDERABAD".
POST GRADUATE M.Sc. CLASSES 1991-1992 Commencement of Post-Graduate classes for M.Sc. in Physics, Chemistry, Zoology, Botany, Mathematics, and Statistics.
PLATINUM JUBILEE 5 - 15 December 1994 Platinum Jubilee Celebrations.
" "